Resistance Training for Teens (RT for Teens) is a school-based physical activity program designed for secondary school students. RT for Teens aims to help teenagers develop the skills and confidence to engage in foundational resistance training activities. The RT for Teens application has been developed to support the delivery of the program in schools. However, it can also be used as a stand-alone resource to help young people learn about and participate in engaging fitness activities that will support general health and wellbeing.
Using the RT for Teens application, you can:
- Evaluate your fitness using three evidence-based tests, to determine your progress towards achieving and maintaining Healthy Fitness
- Select from six pre-made interval style workouts, utilising simple body weight exercises that can be performed almost anywhere
- Select a random workout to get a surprise every time, or select your own exercises to create a unique custom workout
- Evaluate your technique across six foundational resistance training movements, considered to form the basis for more complex exercises performed in the gym
- View all of the exercises and a description of how to perform them properly via the in-built exercise library
- View the dashboard display to see your past and current fitness levels and weekly progress towards your muscle-strengthening exercise goals
The Resistance Training for Teens program is a collaboration between the University of Newcastle and the NSW Department of Education, supported by researchers from several other Australian and International Universities.